Searching for the fountain of youth? There are a number of different types of beauty products that I recommend, but if you are going to buy just one, I suggest that you go with an anti-aging cream. Many anti-aging creams can double as eye creams, and may also be function as moisturizers or retinoids.
In this article, I am going to tell you everything you need to know about shopping for high-quality aging creams, and then I am going to introduce you to the top anti-aging creams for 2018! You can view a quick list of top products below. But I highly recommend that you read through the entire guide so you can make the most informed decision.
Best Anti-Aging Creams of 2018
Best Anti-Aging Creams of 2017
|Brands||Active Ingredients||Consistency||Editors Rating|
|Instant Wrinkle Reducer™ by Skinception Age Defying Formula||Argireline, hyaluronic acid.||Light|
|GenF20™||Alpha GPC, L-Arginine, L-Glutamine.||Light|
|Anti Aging Treatment by Revitol||RITAPRO 165, Matrixyl, shea butter.||Light|
|Ageless Body System||n/a||n/a|
|Amara Organics Anti Aging Face Cream Moisturizer||Malus domestica fruit cell culture extract, apple seed oil, evening primrose oil, argan oil, grapeseed oil.||Light|
|St. Ives Facial Moisturizer||Safflower seed oil, glycerine, mineral oil.||Light|
|InstaNatural Retinol Moisturizer Anti Aging Cream||Aloe, safflower seed oil, glycerine, green tea, hibiscus, shea butter, retinol.||Light|
|Calily Life Organic Argan Face Cream||Argan oil, Dead Sea minerals and extracts.||Light|
|Baebody Eye Gel||Hyaluronic acid, Matrixyl, vitamin E, MSM, plant stem cells.||Light|
|Alice Nouveau Super C Anti-Aging Cream||Retinol, vitamin C, shea butter, algae extract.||Light|
|NuNutrients Cucumber Eye Cream||Cucumber, Melia Azadriachta leaf extract, hyaluronic acid.||Light|
What Are Anti-Aging Creams?
First of all, what is an anti-aging cream? Well, nothing can actually make you younger, unfortunately. But there are products that can slow down the appearance of aging, and sometimes even reverse some of its visible effects.
Anti-aging creams are generally moisturizer-based. Commonly, they include ingredients such as:
- Alpha hydroxy acids
- Epidermal growth factor
- Matrixyl and other peptides
Anti-aging creams provide a gentler, more affordable alternative to invasive anti-aging procedures like Botox injections or plastic surgery. Over the long run, they are also better for your skin, providing much-needed moisture and nourishment.
While some anti-aging creams are 100% natural, most do contain some unnatural ingredients. Many of these ingredients have some scientific backing, but studies on anti-aging creams are still pretty sparse. This can make it a challenge to shop for a good product. But if you find the right one for your skin, you can turn back the clock a decade or more—at least in the mirror!
What Should You Look for in a High-Quality Anti-Aging Cream?
There are dozens and dozens of anti-aging creams on the market today. Many you can find at a local pharmacy; many others are only available online. Some will run you less than $20; others cost more than $50. Some contain all-natural ingredients; others do not. With so much variety out there, how do you know what you need?
I am going to be straight up with you here. The vast majority of anti-aging products are nothing more than snake oil in a fancy bottle. They simply do not deliver on their lofty promises of eternal youth.
But there are a few which are genuinely outstanding, and which can deliver phenomenal results. These gems do an incredible job locking in moisture, boosting collagen production, and restoring a silky, heavenly, youthful complexion.
Here are some tips to ensure that you are purchasing a quality product:
- Check for the full ingredients list. If you cannot see all the ingredients in a product, you probably should contact customer service and ask for the full list. What you put onto your skin gets absorbed by it, so you need to be sure what you are getting is safe and effective.
- Buy from a transparent brand. The brand you purchase from should not only be upfront about what is in their products, but also should be transparent about their background. Do not buy from a fly-by-night. Stick with a reliable, established company you can trust.
- Look for positive customer reviews that are still believable. On the whole, reviews should be positive, but not so over-the-top as to be implausible.
- Choose a product which will provide results on the timeline you need. Some products start producing results from the first application; others may require weeks before you start seeing improvements. Neither is “better” than the other—it all depends on what you need. Pick a product to suit your needs.
- Pick a product which will not be too harsh. While the effectiveness of an anti-aging cream is important, it is not the only consideration you should have. Think about how sensitive your skin is, and also where you will be applying the cream (for example to the sensitive skin around your eyes). If you will be using the cream on sensitive areas, make sure that the product you are purchasing will not cause irritation or redness.
- Don’t forget about texture. Finally, this is a less important consideration, but still worth thinking about. Some anti-aging creams are greasy or thick, and many people find them unpleasant. While you are reading customer reviews, see if anyone has commented on the texture of the product. Those with a lighter, non-greasy texture are preferable.
How to Use an Anti-Aging Cream
One last thing you should educate yourself on before you shop for anti-aging creams is how to use them properly for best effect. Even a high-quality product will do you little good if you do not understand how to make the most of it.
Following are some tips to ensure that you successfully reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines with the anti-aging cream you buy:
- Try to purchase just one product to start with. You might think that you would get the best results by combining several, but often this is too harsh a regimen for your skin. Ironically, this could make matters worse instead of better.
- When trying a new product, perform a patch test on your skin to make sure that you do not have an allergic reaction before you apply it to sensitive areas like your face or hands.
- If you experience the sensation of burning or tingling when using an anti-aging cream, check the box or the website to see if this is expected or not. If it is not, it may be too strong for your sensitive skin. If you allow it to continue causing irritation, this will make your skin look older, not younger.
- Only apply as much of the product as the directions recommend.
- If the product is moisturizer-based, apply it to damp skin, not skin that is fully dry. The moisturizer acts as a barrier, and can seal moisture in or out. So if it is applied to skin which is dry, it will actually prevent moisture from reaching your skin, which will only make your skin drier.
- Use the product for as long as recommended to see results. If you buy an anti-aging cream which says that it takes three months to work, do not give up what you do not see results in three days or three weeks.
- If you stop using an anti-aging cream, your results may gradually reverse. Keep using the cream over the long term (if the directions say that is all right) to see continuing results.
- Follow other smart practices for healthy skin, like staying out of the sun.
Now that you know how to choose a high-quality anti-aging cream and how to use the product you purchase effectively, let’s get to the reviews.
Best Anti-Aging Creams for 2017
I’ve been testing anti-aging products for years, so I have a lot of experience! Some of the products below I have tried personally and had great results with. Others I have investigated in-depth, reading customer reviews and even reaching out to people who have bought the products to interview them on their effectiveness.
For every great product I have discovered, I have run into at least a dozen bad ones. You can’t buy just anything and expect results. So without further ado, here are the top anti-aging creams for 2017. These products contain the highest-quality ingredients, and have garnered the most outstanding reviews!
Promoted as “Botox in a bottle,” this topical cream contains a peptide called Argireline which is found in Botox. Argireline is a powerful moisturizer, and results in plump, youthful skin. It’s also backed by science; the Journal of Cosmetic & Laser Therapy is quoted in 2013 as saying, “Argireline … can both reduce the degree of existing facial wrinkles and demonstrate effectively against their development.”
Like Botox, this product gives you fast results—minus the high cost or risk of side-effects. It takes less than 10 minutes to apply the formula, and the initial results are immediate.
- Experience the benefits of Botox without the needles or side-effects.
- This product is actually backed by scientific research.
- It is fast and easy to apply.
- Results are immediate.
- There is a refund guarantee.
- It is more expensive than a lot of other skincare products
- The results are temporary.
- This product is not 100% natural.
Best For: Temporarily but quickly reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
This is a highly rated HGH (human growth hormone) releaser. As you get older, your body produces less HGH, which correlates with various effects of age—including wrinkles and sagging skin. GenF20™ can stimulate your body’s natural production of HGH by more than 28%. The product has received endorsement from a number of doctors, and gets great reviews from customers.
- GenF20™ is more than just a skincare product—it also can lead to lower cholesterol, mental clarity, improved metabolism, higher stamina, and other benefits.
- This supplement contains pure, natural ingredients.
- There is a 60-day full refund guarantee, so you can try GenF20™ risk-free.
- This is not the cheapest product out there—but it is an excellent deal considering how many health and beauty improvements it can lead to.
- It may take some time to see the full results (the upshot is that this is a supplement you can take over the long term).
Best For: Restoring youthfulness to your skin while enjoying other anti-aging effects.
Revitol is a big name in the anti-aging world. Revitol’s revolutionary Anti Aging Treatment contains three key ingredients: RITAPRO 165, Matrixyl, and shea butter. This is a seriously potent blend; one study in 2013 found that Matrixyl can double collagen production!
- This can be a good product to use on sensitive skin—it is effective enough to minimize wrinkles, fine lines, and crow’s feet, but gentle enough not to cause irritation.
- Cost is moderate, and there are some awesome deals available, like buy 3, get 2 free.
- Many customers praise the product for its non-greasy, light texture.
- It does take several weeks to see the full results.
- A few customers have noted they are not fond of the fragrance (some buyers love it, however).
Best For: Reducing wrinkles effectively without breaking the bank.
Okay, so this isn’t exactly an anti-aging cream. It’s actually an eBook by nutritionists Rome Barassam and Susan Lowell. In it, they teach you how to create your own anti-aging cream using four simple ingredients you can buy at your local grocery mart. You also learn nutrition and fitness tips and tricks that help you maintain your youthful glow.
- You get a lot of info in this eBook for a very reasonable price.
- Through the Ageless Body System, you tackle anti-aging from multiple angles for comprehensive results.
- The ingredients you need to create your own anti-aging serum are easy to find.
- This is not an “out of the box” solution. You have to go out and buy the ingredients yourself. You also are expected to make other lifestyle changes.
Best For: Taking a broader lifestyle approach to de-aging your skin.
This highly rated anti-aging cream has hundreds of customer reviews, and an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars online. It is less expensive than many competing products. Combining six anti-aging ingredients, including vitamins and antioxidants, it fights damage from free radicals while moisturizing your skin.
- This product contains only natural ingredients, and contains no fragrances, dyes or parabens.
- The cost for Amara Organics Moisturizer is very reasonable.
- This product is backed by a full refund guarantee.
- This moisturizer has a light consistency.
- Some customers reported irritation and acne in response to this product, likely because it was not a good fit for their skin type, or they forgot to apply the moisturizer to damp skin.
Best For: Saving money while moisturizing skin and reducing wrinkles.
St. Ives is of course one of the most well-known brands in skincare worldwide. This extremely popular product has thousands of reviews online and an average rating of 4.5 stars. You can buy it for under $10, which makes it one of the most affordable anti-aging creams on the market.
- This product is sold by a highly reputable brand; you’ve probably used their products before.
- You will find few other options which can compete in terms of price.
- Results are visible within seven days.
- Ingredients are natural and hypoallergenic.
- There are a few customers who mentioned that this product causes redness and flaking. This does not seem to be a very common reaction, and it may indicate that the product was applied to dry skin.
Best For: Keeping costs minimal while restoring youthfulness to dry, aging skin.
Another very popular anti-aging cream is InstaNatural Retinol Moisturizer. This product has more than 1,000 reviews online, with an average rating of four stars. It is relatively inexpensive. It contains retinol in conjunction with vitamin C and green tea, moisturizing skin and improving elasticity.
- Most of the ingredients in this product are completely natural, and all of them have benefits for the skin.
- A little bit goes a long ways, making this product even more cost-effective.
- The concentration of retinol might be a little too high for those who are new to products which contain it.
- It does take a few weeks to see the full results.
Best For: A high-quality retinoid which delivers breathtaking results.
This product has more than 240 customer reviews, averaging out to 4.5 stars. The main ingredient is argan oil from Morocco. This oil has been infused with minerals and extracts from the Dead Sea. While moisturizing your skin, it can also reduce the appearance of wrinkles and scars, while providing you with protection from harmful UV rays.
- This is an all-natural product containing no parabens and no chemicals. This makes it safe and gentle to use even on sensitive skin.
- This is a fast acting product, with customers reporting results in as few as three days.
- The product goes on light, and has no greasy texture.
- As is typical with moisturizers, there are a few customers who mentioned dry or irritated skin. This more likely reflects poor practices, and likely is not a comment on the actual product.
- This product is so popular it is sometimes out of stock. So you may have to check back, or pre-order it.
Best For: Rejuvenating skin the all-natural way.
This anti-aging cream is designed specifically for use around the eyes, which is one of the first areas of skin around which it is easy to detect the effects of age. More than 3,000 buyers have reviewed this eye gel, giving it an average rating of 4.5 stars. It is a best seller online at an affordable price. The formula contains hyaluronic acid in conjunction with matrixyl and vitamin E, MSM, and stem cells from plants.
- This is an all-natural product containing only healthy ingredients, and no dyes, fragrances, or parabens. This makes it suitable for the sensitive skin around your eyes.
- This gel effectively reduces the appearance of crow’s feet, dark circles, and puffiness around the eyes.
- Many customers see a difference after only a week using this product.
- A few buyers say that this eye cream is a bit heavy, and takes a while to absorb properly.
Best For: Reducing the effects of age around the eyes. Also great for making tired eyes look more awake and alert.
This popular eye cream is quite affordable, and is very popular among online purchasers, who give it an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Manufactured in the USA, it includes retinol along with vitamin C, shea butter, and algae extract. These ingredients moisturize while fighting free radicals. It can be used as a face cream and as an eye cream.
- The price for this anti-aging cream is very affordable.
- Customers report that it does an effective job hydrating, but that it is gentle enough that it does not worsen conditions such as acne or rosacea.
- The cream has a light texture and is not greasy.
- A little bit goes a long ways and absorbs quickly.
- There is next to no negative feedback. Obviously this isn’t a bad thing in general—but it does mean that it is hard to identify drawbacks.
Best For: An anti-aging cream that doubles as an eye cream and is gentle on sensitive skin.
This cucumber-based eye cream has more than 250 customer reviews and an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars. You can purchase it for around the same price as the Alice Nouveau Super C anti-aging cream above. Along with cucumber extract, the product contains Melia Azadriachta Leaf Extract, both natural ingredients. It can reduce inflammation, dark circles, wrinkles and fine lines around the eyes, reducing puffiness.
- The cream is light and not too oily. It has a pleasant cucumber scent.
- This product does its job with dark circles and wrinkles, but is particularly effective for eliminating puffiness.
- Some customers mentioned that the effect wasn’t particularly pronounced to them. This may be a better product for light use—a retinol would be better if you need something stronger.
Best For: Reducing puffiness around the eyes, light moisturizing.
Conclusion: The Perfect Anti-Aging Cream Is Just Waiting For You!
Whether you are looking for a light, non-greasy moisturizer or you are in search of a powerful retinoid, there is an anti-aging cream out there to meet your needs. Any one of these products can make a huge difference in your appearance, and many can take years off your visible age within just a week.
Start out with just one anti-aging cream. When your skin gets used to the new routine, you can think about adding more creams to your regimen. Be sure to check out the other buying guides on my site for even more great products to revitalize your skin and turn back the clock in 2017!